Posted: April 11, 2019
The Singing for Health group received £1710 from the HBBC/VCS Commissioning Board*,which helped fund the singing tutor and to run sessions.
The Singing for Health group runs on a weekly basis, encouraging local people to take part in this inclusive activity, benefiting physical health, mental health and well-being. The sessions are enjoyable, affordable and accessible.
It is well documented that singing has many health and well-being benefits for individuals, including:-
- Improves mental health
- Lowers stress levels
- Increases feel-good hormones
- Creates friendship opportunities in a supportive group
- Is uplifting and fun
- Increasing oxygen in the blood and breathing control
- Improving posture
- Improves your sleep
- Boosts mood, self-confidence and self-esteem
- Provides social contact and inclusion, overcoming isolation.
- Weekly sessions, for non-confident singers, those that can’t read music and may have thought they can’t sing. Kathryn, the group leader will encourage, support and teach participants, she says “everyone can sing, they just don’t know it yet”
- People will learn about the benefits of a warm-up, this will be done in as easily accessible format so all can take part with no auditions, solos or spotlights! People will work together and will be encouraged to choose what they want to sing with no limit on the variety of songs.
*If you are a charity or community group within Hinckley and Bosworth looking for funding, please visit our funding page.